Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Grande Pioggia New York

Well, there was plenty of water involved in last Sunday's Gran Fondo New york, but it wasn't the Hudson.  It was the rain.  It seemed to have come, more or less, out of nowhere.  Last Thursday, when I packed, the weather report said sunny with temperatures in the mid- to high-60s.  And that was still pretty much the prediction on Friday and Saturday after we'd arrived in New York.  But Sunday morning, when I looked out the apartment window at about 5 a.m., the streets were wet.  The weather report now showed a chance of rain, but only 30 percent through the morning, with the probability going up to 50 percent about 2 p.m.  I figured that would be an incentive pushing me to get done.  So I set off, worried more about keeping warm, wearing DC Velo kit -- arm warmers, a vest and a long-sleeved windbreaker -- over the regulation chartreuse GFNY jersey.  On the George Washington Bridge I think we were mostly worried about getting underway.
But, as soon as we left the bridge's protection, we met light, chilly rain.  So much for the 70 percent change of no rain.  It was 100 percent the entire day.   Early on, I sort of wished for some mechanical failure to take me out without my having to think about it.  But that didn't happen and, in fact, I felt pretty good.  Then I thought, okay, I'll make it to Bear Mountain, the half-way point, and knowing after that that I was heading home should keep me going.  

It didn't.  At about mile 70, the Rockland County Boulders baseball stadium, I was wet to the skin and couldn't stop shivering.  I climbed off.  But at least I had lots of company.
 Maybe there was more excitement around the finishing area when the earlier riders had come in.  But by the time the bus delivered us dropouts, it looked pretty sad.  The few people left were huddled under the tents trying to stay dry and moderately warm.  Riders straggled across the finish line.
Eventually, a truck ferrying back and forth to transport bikes down to those of us who'd dropped out, delivered mine.  By then it was 7:30 p.m.  I think we were just about the last group of riders taking the Weehawken Ferry over to Manhattan and a warm shower.  But despite all of that, I'll probably try again
next year.


































No comments:

Post a Comment