Saturday, August 31, 2013

Back in Paris


This may be an odd way to maintain a blog.  It's supposed to be a more or less daily log of what you're doing or what's on your mind.  But what I'm going to do here, at least for a while, is to post notes on what I've been up to over the last nearly six weeks.  I'm catching up on what I'd hoped do do during my Loire bike ride, but didn't.  I have several reasons (excuses) for that, but mostly they have to do with being busy riding, recovering from a ride, or exploring a little of the area where I was staying.  Most days while traveling, I did well if I made a few notes at the end of the day or next morning with coffee.

In the middle of July, I was back in Paris.  It was only for a couple of days, but it was good to be back.  I didn't always feel that way about the city.  My relationship with Paris wasn't love at first sight.  I've never quite understand why everyone is so seduced.  My appreciation came grudgingly and over time, the same as it did with New York.  Maybe this comes, at least in part, from growing up in Iowa and Los Angeles, the Midwest and Far West.  As an "outlander" I think I mistrusted their reputations, couldn't believe they were all people said they were.  I didn't think I needed whatever it was they offered.

Also, in the case of Paris, I learned French before I ever knew very much about France the country.  I'd learned the language in the Peace Corps to be able to teach English in Senegal.  I only got to know the country later, mostly through the Tour de France bicycle race.  In the late 1980's, when I first got interested -- a time before Google maps -- I'd sit with the Michelin road atlas and trace out each day's stage.  I learned the geography of the country; and I got familiar with regional cities and small towns where the Tour stopped regularly.  When we started traveling to France, I was more interested in visiting these places than Paris.  But that changed.  The city grew on me.  Every time we went, I got a little more comfortable; it felt better.  

1 comment: